Rhyme Time Workshop
a/k/a Maryann Welker,
author of the rhyming children’s picture book
I have always loved rhymes! And I have always loved to read! As teachers, you understand the connection. You know that the ability to hear, understand, and manipulate sounds in words is the basis for learning how to read.
At THE RHYME TIME WORKSHOP, Pre-K and K classes will learn the concept of rhyming in ways that are both educational and fun. Lesson Plans are flexible and are designed to adapt to the attention level and reading level of the class.
TYPICAL LESSON PLAN: (Time: 30 min. – 45 min.)
- INTRO: kids will recite nursery rhymes they already know, such as ‘Hickory Dickory Dock” (dock/clock); “Itsy Bitsy Spider” (spout/out) “Mary Had a Little Lamb” (snow/go) Words and illustrations on picture cards will show kids that rhyming words often have the same sound and the same letters at the end of the words.
- BOOK READING: “The Bride and Groom Baboon.” After the reading, Storyteller Mare will review some of the rhyming words in the book to see if the kids understand why the words rhyme.
- RHYMING GAMES: 1) “What Rhymes With This Picture?” In this game, kids are shown a picture card, for example, a “bee” and asked to choose another picture that rhymes with “bee”, such as a picture of a “tree.”
2) “Rhyming Rhythm”. In this game, the kids feel the musical rhythm inherent in rhymes by acting out the rhyming words in the Teddy Bear rhyme…i.e. Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, Jump Around, Teddy Bear Teddy Bear, Touch the Ground, Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear Turn out the Light, Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear say “Goodnight”.
- COLORING PAGE from “The Bride and Groom Baboon” is given to all the kids.
Workshop Fees are $125.
For more information about booking a “Rhyme Time Workshop”, please contact Maryann Welker: firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text her at: (818) 321-4921.
A review copy of “The Bride and Groom Baboon” is now available as a Flip Book for Pre-K and K Teachers!